Angor Wat

Old Hippie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick reply:

I stayed in "Casa Angkor" in Siem Riep. It's a newly built hotel with a gallery style inside. It was nice enough and would certainly recommend it. I don't remember it's room rate though.

There are a shitload of hotels i Siem Riep (and more coming up) so you can certainly wing it. No probs!

Guest lazyphil

I cant remember the guest house I stayed in at SR but I crawled in at about 10pm off the back of a pickup truck after going overland...I jumped off at the 1st one they stopped at, I was totally shattered by that journey (NEVER AGAIN!)...only 5 dollars a night but was quite comfortable.

lazyphil said:

I cant remember the guest house I stayed in at SR but I crawled in at about 10pm off the back of a pickup truck after going overland...I jumped off at the 1st one they stopped at, I was totally shattered by that journey (NEVER AGAIN!)...only 5 dollars a night but was quite comfortable.

When I went, I got a minibus that seemed to take way longer than strictly necessary to get there - it arrived after dark.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, cheap, and direct.

Trouble was, I later found out that they deliberately get there after dark, so that most of the passengers (backpackers) will stay at the hotel they drop off at - it worked, we all did...well, it was pitch black and we were all knackered from hours on cambodian roads.

Well worth the discomfort though - AW is magnificent.

O.k. so assuming I fly into Siem Reip, I can get a hotel no problem, then the next day, or that day, grab a mini bus to Angor Wat? How much to get a mini bus, and how much for admission? Also, do Thais need any special visas? and can we get visas when we arrive at the airport in Siem Reip? O.k. just tell me the basic drill here, I'm clueless...

OH....go for the 3 day pass at Angkor ($40 and one photograph at the main gate) and find a motodop guy to drive you around ($7 or $8 per day....less after liposuction). Start early it gets very hot in there. Don't try to see it all in one day. Get a guide book and plan it a bit. Read up on the various temples etc. There are places to eat inside the main area, foodstalls etc. Some rip-offs but mostly just persistent kids trying to make a few pennies.

After all that culture you may be in danger of developing a sensitive side. Fear not! There's a place called Martinis in Siam Reap you might want to check out in the evening plus several bars and massage places.

lots of info here...

http://talesofasia.com/

Archived