Angor Wat

Old Hippie

"If you bring a TG, there is a good Thai restaurant. Dead Fish Tower. Interesting place, run by Thais"

well I brough the TGF along & after 1 night at one of the very nice, but overpriced hotels near sofitel(monarch angkor 30usd) we actually stayed at the dead fish hoping for great thai food & all the other perks advertised such as free internet, free massages, haircut, shaves etc.!!

none of us we're impressed apart perhaps from the numerous power cuts, in house live crocs, but NOT the food nor the service!!

location near old marked was ok though & no prob. getting out to angkor either ;)

basically only worthwhile stuff to sample apart from temples would be french style foods & wines & of course the odd local cambo taste!

next time we'll probably not go overland!!! but with the current bkkair monopoly & pricing there really is no other sensible option apart from flying into the capital & using the better ground transportation from there...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ib13 said:

next time we'll probably not go overland!!! but with the current bkkair monopoly & pricing there really is no other sensible option apart from flying into the capital & using the better ground transportation from there...

Hi IB13,

Yeah, I will defintely give the overland crossing a miss as well. Took me like 16 hours to reach SR from Bkk and I was beyond recognition upon arrival as I was completely covered with red dust.

A nice and convenient alternative route is to fly to PP (TG)and catch the AC boat to SR. It takes approx 5 hours and offers great views of the Thonle Sap. 20 US. You can sit outside on the top of the boat as well and work on your tan ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• 2 weeks later...

What airlines would you suggest for a flight from BKK to PP?

I could only find Bangkok Airways and President Airlines. Both charging about 4.000 to 5.000Bht. Wth the costs of transportation to SR a direct flight to SR doesn't sound so bad at all.

Main reason we actually ended up overland was beacuse we didn't go from bkk, but from samet! So basically it would be silly backstepping to bkk to fly to SR/PP so we ended up trying out the overland.

From entering the chaos at poi pet border to arriving in SR by camry it took about 4.5h, but it was shaky like hell. Or thats what we though untill deciding to go back to bkk by camry again only this time we got a mad racer ambitious driver & I hated every minute of that risky dust & bump ride!

If however starting from bkk I'd fly to PP next time & either boat or bus it to the temples ;)

Archived