Soi Zero Passes Into History

StoneSoup

Well, the curtain finally must have come down on Soi Zero on Wednesday night - I stopped by there at 7:00 pm Thursday, and the lights were out, and bars that weren't shuttered were stripped bare. I had gone by it Wednesday night - and it was still open - but 24 hours later, it was history.

Soi Zero has now passed into the "Pantheon" of retired barzones - to join Clinton Plaza and Sukhumvit Plaza.

Many folks disdained this place, but I had many a fun evening there - and took away some fine entertainment from there over the years.

I don't know what will become of the bars there - with one exception. The owners of Det 5 Sexy Night have acquired the White House property on Soi 8 (about 600 meters back from Sukhumvit), which they will rechristen as simply "Det 5."

Cheers!

SS

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too bad, I had planned to go back there when I had time. ( pass by mant times during daylight) but not too late.

anyone remenber BJ's bar there ?( short lived bar)

I was surprised to see the sudden end of Soi Zero. Saddened too, as I remember back to the days when it was called Buckskin Joe, and a right lively place it was for me on many nights in the early '90s. An former girlfriend had a birthday party at one of the bars toward the back, and got so drunk I had to carry her out to where the tuktuks were waiting. Some pretty good bargirl pool players could be found in there. The trains thundering close by on the other side of the back of the bars on the left side lent a certain atmosphere that other bars just didn't have. Morgan Bar was my TV sports watching home in the days when I didn't have a TV. One memorable night, after staggering out of Nana Plaza toward home, I needed "just one more" and had the pleasure of seeing a cop, who was waiting to close the bars down at 2 am., kick a street dog that was annoying him. This street dog fought back, biting the cop on the butt. A couple of the girls also saw this, and we all (quietly) cheered. Buckskin Joe aka Soi Zero RIP You will be missed by many of us old-timers.

I am gutted to read this tragic news. The first thing I ever wrote for Khun Sanuk's site was a little review of Bucky's, I don't think the forum existed then. While Det 5 was always the consistently successful bar, as I remember, my favourite was I-Three, run by 2 of the smartest and sexiest sisters I ever met, all emigrated to the US later, with little sis and their mum.

The only place I knew in Bangkok where you could listen to reggae at 4 or 5 in the morning and the only bar I've ever known which would call a taxi up to the bar and carry me from my stool into the back of the cab, leaving bins to be settled whenever I returned.

Ahhhhhhh ..........

Archived