"Be warned: the new government is out to stop sex tourism"

Chanchao

And South Africans are "Quality Tourists".. Read all about it:

No more Thai sex for SA

By Martin Williams

BANGKOK â?? Men who visit Thailand for sex, be warned: the new government is out to stop you.

That was the message when Tourism and Sports Minister Suvit Yodmani addressed a group of South African journalists in Bangkok at the weekend.

Suvit said he welcomed South Africans because theyâ??re â??quality touristsâ?Â.

And he was not talking about their wealth. His example of quality tourists was a group of 1 000 not very well off Vietnamese who recently stayed in a Thai monastery.

Suvit made it clear the administration, which came to power in a bloodless coup on September 19, aimed to curtail the sex trade.

â??Prostitution is illegal in Thailand,â? he said. The South East Asian countryâ??s police force is being assisted by â??tourist policeâ?Â, and will be further bolstered by specially trained volunteers .

He is due to announce further steps before the end of the month to tighten up on the policing of the sex industry.

Each year about 40 000 South Africans visit Thailand, far behind the 700 000 British holidaymakers and almost as many from Germany, France, Sweden and other European countries.

The Tourism Minister believes most of those who come are drawn by Thailandâ??s cultural, environmental and sporting attractions.

Golf is big with a large group of â??Black Economic Empowermentâ? South Africans currently enjoying first-class holidays here.

The Minister also listed water sports and athletics, saying a recent marathon pulled 4 700 entries.

In briefings to SA journalists, government Ministers have been at pains to justify the regime change, which has not been approved of by South Africa, the European Union or the US.

Despite the coup, and the tsunami two years ago, tourist numbers have in fact increased, and international trade is at record levels.

In the major cities there is no visible sign of martial law. Most Thais have accepted the political change, taking their cue from their monarch, who is held in high esteem throughout the nation.

---

Source:

http://www.citizen.co.za/index/article.aspx?pDesc=29035,1,22

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New government is indeed traditional and geriatric :shakehead

Quality tourism... not quality tourism :spin: Talk about subjective, and what the hell does South Africa have to do with anything people could debate "quality" forever.

The ministers just want to pretend that the place is not for people to get rocks off. Whoring is not going anywhere in Thailand especially given the homegrown version that is so near and dear to the hearts and crotches of Thai men.

The only thing that might change is roughing the foreigners up. I sometimes think Thailand has absolutely no grasp on how it is perceived by the rest of the world :doah: If they want to keep swiping at nightlife under the premise of being puritanical, or even Buddhist, it will just hurt them in the end, and make them more of a laughing stock globally.

People all over the world will still be fucking tomorrow :sex:

My two satang...

theNumbers

New government is indeed traditional and geriatric :shakehead

theNumbers

It's not the first government to talk about cleaning up the sex trade. Remember Purachai?

Maybe they really are serious this time. It's been said before, they will need to make some major changes in Thai moral attitudes if they want to make a dent.

just a bit social-conservative sabre-rattling!

in the end, money (of the people coming for p4p)will rule!

My guess as well (of course, I wouldn't have predicted Pruchai either). We have seen a few blips, but since the change in government, the nightlife has been much more relaxed. In the absence of anything concrete, the old cliche applies: the proof is in the pudding. Thus far, the pudding tastes fine.

It is the farang area's own fault. It is unbelievable to me how "in-yer-face" the whole scene is now compared to less than ten years ago. Yeah, some of that is due to the internet, but still. THIS is the real problem, not the fact that the scene exists.

I have been saying for years, and still maintain, that there is very little in the way of P4P in LoS that you cannot get in just about any East Asian country (Japan, Taiwan, HK, Singapore, Malaysia, China, etc).

Regards,

SD

It's not the first government to talk about cleaning up the sex trade.

I remember reading an article in the international press shortly before I made my first trip to LOS in 1979 about a massive campaign to "clean up" the sex trade in BKK and Pattaya. I was really worried that everything would be shut down by the time I got there.

The economic importance of the sex trade and the hundreds of thousands of jobs it generates at the secondary and tertiary support levels make it difficult, if not impossible, for the government to carry out a meaningful crack-down.

But if a Thai government ever does get serious, the first step would be to bust a few foreign mongers. Once that happens, the sex tourists will simply change their LOS vacations to PI or Cambodia or Brazil. With less buyers, the market will shrivel on its own. Cracking down on the sell side is only comestic, it's measures aimed at buyers that would be a signal that something significant is underway.

Evil

:devil:

Archived