Farang, insult or not?

khunsanuk

I refer to myself as farang...i feel i've reclaimed it as a word, thereby removing it's power...

Errrrrr or something like that.

Interesting thread. I think most nations like to view themselves as somehow superior...i'm not in the slightest patriotic...but i've found that people view such thinking with horror. Certainly most Americans like to think they come from the 'greatest' nation on earth. Brits are notoriously xenophobic and well, the French....

It's interesting being a minority and being on the receiving end. My only saving grace is i'm a big bloke and that tends to mean only the bravest or stupidest Thai men try to take the piss. Some do try and i hear comments every so often. I ignore them. I view racism as a sign of poor intellectual functioning, certainly it is ignorant.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I refer to myself as farang...i feel i've reclaimed it as a word, thereby removing it's power...

Errrrrr or something like that.

Interesting thread. I think most nations like to view themselves as somehow superior...i'm not in the slightest patriotic...but i've found that people view such thinking with horror. Certainly most Americans like to think they come from the 'greatest' nation on earth. Brits are notoriously xenophobic and well, the French....

It's interesting being a minority and being on the receiving end. My only saving grace is i'm a big bloke and that tends to mean only the bravest or stupidest Thai men try to take the piss. Some do try and i hear comments every so often. I ignore them. I view racism as a sign of poor intellectual functioning, certainly it is ignorant.

Haha, "taking the piss" is one thing but rest assured, no matter how much of a "big bloke" you are, if it ever comes down to a physical altercation with Thai males, you will face 5 at once, or 10, or 20, never just one. And make no mistake about it, you WILL lose.

preahko

Or pay later ... with a grenade through your window or an attack with a club from behind.

Don't think you were on the board when I described arriving at Patpong right after a grenade attack on a bar in the 1980s. The doormen refused to let some young Thais in, so they came back that evening and lobbed a frag grenade at the entrance to the bar. Killed a doorman and 3 or 4 dancers inside. I got there as the ambulances were leaving. The bar floor was covered with blood, with brightly coloured high heel shoes scattered in the middle of it. Not a pretty sight. :p

> "What does "Koo haek hii maa laew..." mean, then?"<

That reminds me of a language lesson many years ago. My (Cute) female teacher was taking me through the consonant plus vowel combinations as in Ka, Kii, Kee, ko, etc

Each time she would point out some of the words that had a meaning instead of just being meaningless combinations of consonants and vowles.

When she got to the "h", she went through some sounds Ha, Ho, Hii...

So I asked 'any meaning?

At Hii, she hid her mouth behind her hand, and snickered 'Not polite, means 'pussy' '

I knew that, just waiting to hear her say that.

Today i had lunch at a Japanese restaurant. I ordered from a picture menu, didn't know, got deepfried mussels.

I asked the woman serving me the Lao name for the thing inside, she said 'hoy', and slightly chuckled.

Hii, hoy, and Djim.

Someone remind me which is the most polite.

I've told this story before, but for the sake of the thread and the newbies, will repeat it.

One day, when i was living with my now ex-GF in an apartment in BKK. After work, we got home, she started cooking. Chopping up chillies. When it was all on the boil, she joined me watching BBC news. BBC bored her, so she got exploring, to cut a long story short, we ended up having sex on the couch. During that, I don't know how, she touched her own private parts (maybe to facilitate easier entry) with her fingers. Shortly after completion of the deed, she started complaing of pain, burn, agony. Her fingers had chilly juice on them which had irritated the sensitive tissues at her nether regions. She blamed me (of course) then begged me to go to the shop and buy her relief in the form of a lotion (Lactyd?). So here I went, not knowing the name, and speaking a hell of a lot less language then I have now, to a Chemist in Lotustesco on Rama IV. When I entered the shop, I hoped to find my required stuff ( any of you have ever been sent to buy tampons?). I didn't. So this very cute TG came up to me and said 'can I helpyou' (in Thai). So I , in my primitive Thai, explained " Feen Mi panha. Mii Jep DJIIM. Ao Jaa Laang Djim.", ( My girlfriend has a problem, she has pain in her pussy, wants medicune to clean pussy)

while pointing at MY nether regions. Her eyes lit up, she understood, guided me to the shelf where the required medicine was kept, beamed when I acknlowledged it was the correct one, took me to the checkout, and while i paid , told my story to the other two girls in the shop, who all sniggered.

GF, on my return, was mildly grateful. She still blamed me, although it was her who chopped the cihllies.

So what's most polite, Hii, Hoy, or Djim?

> "What does "Koo haek hii maa laew..." mean, then?"<

That reminds me of a language lesson many years ago. My (Cute) female teacher was taking me through the consonant plus vowel combinations as in Ka, Kii, Kee, ko, etc

Each time she would point out some of the words that had a meaning instead of just being meaningless combinations of consonants and vowles.

When she got to the "h", she went through some sounds Ha, Ho, Hii...

So I asked 'any meaning?

At Hii, she hid her mouth behind her hand, and snickered 'Not polite, means 'pussy' '

I knew that, just waiting to hear her say that.

Today i had lunch at a Japanese restaurant. I ordered from a picture menu, didn't know, got deepfried mussels.

I asked the woman serving me the Lao name for the thing inside, she said 'hoy', and slightly chuckled.

Hii, hoy, and Djim.

Someone remind me which is the most polite.

I've told this story before, but for the sake of the thread and the newbies, will repeat it.

One day, when i was living with my now ex-GF in an apartment in BKK. After work, we got home, she started cooking. Chopping up chillies. When it was all on the boil, she joined me watching BBC news. BBC bored her, so she got exploring, to cut a long story short, we ended up having sex on the couch. During that, I don't know how, she touched her own private parts (maybe to facilitate easier entry) with her fingers. Shortly after completion of the deed, she started complaing of pain, burn, agony. Her fingers had chilly juice on them which had irritated the sensitive tissues at her nether regions. She blamed me (of course) then begged me to go to the shop and buy her relief in the form of a lotion (Lactyd?). So here I went, not knowing the name, and speaking a hell of a lot less language then I have now, to a Chemist in Lotustesco on Rama IV. When I entered the shop, I hoped to find my required stuff ( any of you have ever been sent to buy tampons?). I didn't. So this very cute TG came up to me and said 'can I helpyou' (in Thai). So I , in my primitive Thai, explained " Feen Mi panha. Mii Jep DJIIM. Ao Jaa Laang Djim.", ( My girlfriend has a problem, she has pain in her pussy, wants medicune to clean pussy)

while pointing at MY nether regions. Her eyes lit up, she understood, guided me to the shelf where the required medicine was kept, beamed when I acknlowledged it was the correct one, took me to the checkout, and while i paid , told my story to the other two girls in the shop, who all sniggered.

GF, on my return, was mildly grateful. She still blamed me, although it was her who chopped the cihllies.

So what's most polite, Hii, Hoy, or Djim?

of those three, hii by far is the worst, pretty much means "cunt"...a lot of people don't like "hoy," consider it low-class, but it does seem to be the preferred everyday term used by BGs ('nuff said)...djim is by far the most polite out of those.

preahko

Archived