50 Baht to the Pound

Ckrisg

Both the USD and gold, with gold closing below $900 I believe, went down yesterday. The few minutes I watched CNBC this morning, some were saying it is people leaving â??safe havensâ? in anticipation of a recovery picking up. This is based on the overall trend up in commodities futures over the past month or so, especially copper and oil.

TH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is the QE impact as much as the banking sector weakness. The recent loss of HBOS + the new plan that pretty much amounts to nationalizing RBS. Sterling has become a proxy for the financial industry.

The QE puts money in the hands of the bankers but bankers still aren't lending the money out. I'm looking for a chart I saw last month that shows just how much is being bottle-necked by the banks. Instead I found this:

http://www.investmentpostcards.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/clipboarda2.jpg

Both the USD and gold, with gold closing below $900 I believe, went down yesterday. The few minutes I watched CNBC this morning, some were saying it is people leaving â??safe havensâ? in anticipation of a recovery picking up. This is based on the overall trend up in commodities futures over the past month or so, especially copper and oil.

My buddy Jon echos my thoughts on CNBC et al...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220510&title=basic-cable-personality-clash

Those that know, do (Buffet, Soros, etc); those that don't have a TV show (Cramer, Scarbourogh, etc)...

Cheers,

SD

Barron's has done a couple little hatchet jobs on Cramer including this one: http://online.barrons.com/article/SB123397107399659271.html

"OTHER CAREFUL, HONEST EXAMINATIONS of the CNBC star showed the same underperformance -- including several independent studies by finance researchers, and a 2007 review by Barron's that found the only way to reliably profit from Cramer's stock picks was to short them (see "Shorting Cramer," Aug. 20, 2007)."

Its never gone as low as 41 baht.

However, I've just got back from Thailand last week and this is the first trip in 7 years where I've actually thought about my purchases.

I usually buy a few shirts and trousers as they are cheap and the quality is very good, On reflection I realised that I can now get cheaper back in the UK.

A beer at 125 baht = £2.50. Ladydrink at 175baht=£3.50, this isnt cheap anymore.

It probably won't put me off going to LOS, but I will certainly be curtailing my spending.

A beer at 125 baht = £2.50. Ladydrink at 175baht=£3.50, this isnt cheap anymore.

It probably won't put me off going to LOS, but I will certainly be curtailing my spending.

Nightlife isn't the value it used to be...only a few short years ago. And either are custom clothes.

HH

Its never gone as low as 41 baht.

Bull Fucking Shit! Have you only been coming here Post 1997?

Bad choice of words' date=' I mean recently.....

[/quote']

ChelseaFan

When I quoted 41 to the Pound I was referring to exchange rate bank to bank transfer from the UK. It was 41 in January and I got 49.9 in February 09.

Rate in LOS is always better I agree

Archived