Israel troops admit Gaza abuses

robaus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

The truth will out.... but only when the international community puts pressure on Israel. Otherwise they contunually get away with murder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8490646.stm

"Israel has revealed it has disciplined two top army officers for using white phosphorus shells during an attack on a UN compound in Gaza last year.

The admission is contained in the Israeli response to the Goldstone report, which concluded both Israel and Hamas had committed war crimes.

Both officers have retained their ranks according to reports." [i.e. slap on wrist]

"Until now the Israeli army has denied breaking the rules of engagement over the use of white phosphorus.

....This is the first time that Israel has acknowledged allegations by the UN and other international organisations that white phosphorus was used in such a way as to endanger civilians during the Gaza war." [israel always tells the truth.... once it has tried everything else!]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-admits-solders-were-wrong-to-shell-un-site-1885727.html

" They have until Friday to respond, but have signalled they would not meet the central demand of allowing credible, independent probes. That could lead the way to formal war crimes proceedings, though Israel's ally, the United States, is expected to block any efforts to prosecute."

Will Nobel Peace Prize Winner Obama fall at the first moral fence?

Will the Israeli tail continue to wag the American dog?

Watch this space.

:beer:

My question is this an act of rogue officers or Israeli military policy? I don't know enough about the situation there.

America has the same issue when it comes to things the military does. Sometimes the actions of individuals are taken as policy.

From the same place they get the rest of their ammunition. Willy peter is not banned, but endangering citizens with it is (though war itself invariably kills more civilians than soldiers).

It's been around since World War I, but I hate the damned stuff. It even burns under water. I would NEVER carry a white phospohorus grenade. The damned grenade has a killing radius which is farther than almost anyone can throw it! In other words, lob the grenade and immediately start running like hell in the other direction! :p

Archived