New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't hold your breath the next 'step' on the new farang=atm extortion will be either:

a) increase the atm fee from 150bt to 250bt (yeah the head hunted business consultant of the banks is the same guy who though up the nana disco entrance pricing strategy LOL) :cover:

B) reduce the max amount per withdrawal from 30k to 2900k or so (yes that would mean minimum yield per transaction just below 10% net)!!!

Personally I think your farang paranoia is getting out control. :crazy:

As I have pointed out, a Thai with a foreign bank account will pay the same fee. This is not about ripping off farangs, this is about banks charging a fee, on the high side it may be, for a transaction which costs them to do, for which they had been doing for free.

TH

Personally I think your farang paranoia is getting out control. :crazy:

As I have pointed out, a Thai with a foreign bank account will pay the same fee. This is not about ripping off farangs, this is about banks charging a fee, on the high side it may be, for a transaction which costs them to do, for which they had been doing for free.

TH

...and a Thai with a foreign bank account would pull money out of an ATM??? not likely.

My guess, 99% of this fee will be paid by farang, no way a Thai is going to pay this!!!

there other countries which charge a fee if u use a foreign ATM card

Laos does it, Vietnam does it

furthermore, most banks in my home-country will charge me if i use their ATM card abroad, typically 1-3%, and in addition to this they will add 1 or 2% to the exchange rate (in their favor)

the lowest fee is charged by some no-frills thrifts: only 180 B per transaction

oh, and BTW, in my home-country a bank will charge you for opening an account, for maintaining an account (about 5000 B/year), for closing an account (very expensive!), for depositing money (typically 250 B), for withdrawing money at the counter, for withdrawing money at most ATMs, for transfers, ...

oh, and in my country it is forbidden to get your salary in cash. Your employer is required to transfer it into your bank account.

Of course, as i live near the border, I could just use a bank in the neighbour country. Unfortunately, banking fees there are much higher.

Archived