California's Gay Marriage Ban Upheld by State Supreme Court

Hugh_Hoy

Californian's won today when the State of California Supreme Court upheld the gay marriage ban and, by a 6-1 majority, "...said the 136-page majority ruling does not speak to whether they agree with the voter-approved Proposition 8 or "believe it should be a part of the California Constitution."

"They said they were "limited to interpreting and applying the principles and rules embodied in the California Constitution, setting aside our own personal beliefs and values."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30936298

The real issue was NOT whether one believes that same sex marriage should be allowed in the state. It was whether or not the citizens have the right/ability to amend the state constitution. This affirmation was welcomed by me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

HH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Californian's won today ...

HH

Could you tell us exactly what it is that we won?

Me either, but the people in Ca voted on it, and it lost! End of story. They can vote on it again and if it wins, end of story. What kills me is how a lot of people really hate "democracy" when they loose.

But the real issue is whether or not the people should even be allowed to have ANY say at all in who marries who...I say we should not. I will again remind people that it was 1948 when California repealed the laws against Whites and Chinese marrying, and the early or mid 90's I believe saw the last state change it's laws against black men marrying white women.

Both/all times, the opposition always cried "...it is against god's law/will..." yet the laws were ultimately repealed, and somehow society went on and endured...we cannot, as a nation, call ourselves free and equal until ALL citizens share the same rights and responsibilities.

<< we cannot, as a nation, call ourselves free and equal until ALL citizens share the same rights and responsibilities. >>

So when did Obama go to war? Joe Biden? GW Bush? Dick Cheney? Bill Clinton? Dan Quayle? Rush Limbaugh? Nancy Pelosi? Hillary Clinton Rodham?

Why have women never been conscripted into the military? Why can illegals come to the US and apply for "their" rights? Why is there Affirmative Action for everyone except white non-Hispanic males?

There are a helluva lot of things wrong with the country. I'd rather see the politicians and rich folks pull their weight instead of focusing on fags and dykes marrying each other.

:stirthepo

Archived