New Guy

LucasReti

Do NOT bring your brain, whatever these guys say. Bringing that thing is like bringing your fiancee - sooner or later you'll find that it's just a lump of flesh that needs feeding and protection from the elements. Cut the gray matter loose before you get on that plane, and then just let your body lead you... down... down.... into the Chinese finger-trap of farang life in Thailand: the more you fight it, the more you think, the tighter its hold on you. Really, chances that you will emerge from Thailand a better man, richer for the experience and enthused about your own character? Fucking slim.

And no backpacks. Ever. Get yourself a couple of tidy suitcases and accept - no, dictate - that there will never, ever be a need for you to actually WALK any distance of any significance carrying your stuff while in this part of the world. Torch the backpack, join AA as a preemptive strike, and prepare to explore your darker sides -- how much can you take, how much can you ignore?

When in doubt, when the universe seems to have abandoned reason altogether and the choice of the road going forward is shrouded in mystery, go with the pad krapao gai. On rice, with a fried egg.

YimSiam

Do NOT bring your brain, whatever these guys say. Bringing that thing is like bringing your fiancee - sooner or later you'll find that it's just a lump of flesh that needs feeding and protection from the elements. Cut the gray matter loose before you get on that plane, and then just let your body lead you... down... down.... into the Chinese finger-trap of farang life in Thailand: the more you fight it, the more you think, the tighter its hold on you. Really, chances that you will emerge from Thailand a better man, richer for the experience and enthused about your own character? Fucking slim.

And no backpacks. Ever. Get yourself a couple of tidy suitcases and accept - no, dictate - that there will never, ever be a need for you to actually WALK any distance of any significance carrying your stuff while in this part of the world. Torch the backpack, join AA as a preemptive strike, and prepare to explore your darker sides -- how much can you take, how much can you ignore?

When in doubt, when the universe seems to have abandoned reason altogether and the choice of the road going forward is shrouded in mystery, go with the pad krapao gai. On rice, with a fried egg.

YimSiam

Yep I ditched the dead weight a few weeks ago. Glad Im not moving into a place in canada with her. so your saying dont bring a back pack and join preemptive strike.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again I find myself nodding my head in agreement with KS. If you intend to be here long term then learning the language is a must, and I don't mean Bargirl Thai either.

I don't profess to speak fluent Thai, Fark I struggle enough with English my native tongue, but a little understanding goes a long way, simple things such as having a joke with the cashier at the local Family Mart, being able to negotiate down the local market, having a conversation whilst travelling up 17 floors in my condo block rather than the shy ignorance, simple little things that make the whole difference.

Yes for sure. can anyone recommend a good book or Ibook from I tunes to download or the best way to learn the basics?

It's easy to drift here, you'll be untethered for for awhile. This can be a good thing, though I've seen people permanently stuck in that state long term and they become inured and numb. Fuck that, keep your wits about you - but also savor the experience. Savor every fucking moment, even the ones where chili-laced-som-tam-from-soi-7 diarrhea is burning your ass in a profound manner.

About to wrap up a year here and head back home, back to the grind. Already beginning to sketch details of coming back (to Bangkok).

Talked to a fella here once, intelligent guy, while I was sitting at Gullivers and being publicly humiliated in pool. Anyway, said fella was thoroughly convinced that half of the women around were post-op Katoeys, and 100% of 'working' women were. This guy was so passionate and articulate about this conviction -- had me scratching my head for a few moments.

Avoid freelancers on the street and you'll be fine. :)

Good luck.

Ps. This book helped me and gave a head start before arriving, would also get the companion CD: http://www.amazon.co...i for beginners

Learn Thai with Mod on youtube also a good resource: http://www.youtube.c...ser/ThaiwithMod

After you get here, plenty of inexpensive places to take a class. A bitchy Thai girlfriend who enjoys correcting you... priceless.

Basic Thai is easy enough, unless you are tone deaf. The grammar is fairly simple ... almost like Pidgin English (which was based on Chinese sentence structure).

Mr. Professor, a correction. The "Pidgin" is what the Dutch merchants were talking to the Chinese.

"Pidgin" is a deformation of Beijing, Peking.

I spoke that language in my Papua New Guinea days. 1,200 words.

Basic Thai is better than that, if I may add.

About to wrap up a year here and head back home, back to the grind. Already beginning to sketch details of coming back (to Bangkok).

Good luck.

JaiRai

Good Luck to yourself on returning home after 12 months here, that was my plan back in 1991, I will spend a few months in Thailand then move on.

Fast forward 22 years and I have ex-wife's kids in uni and am still here, would I change it for the world? Would I hell, I am thick skinned with a sense of humour!

Archived