Luxury Goods Tax To Decrease?

Mekong

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Toyota LandCruiser 200 is 70,000$ in Japan. Saw Thai sites, price is 7.8 million baht. Almost 3 times the price in Japan. Categorized as luxury and heavily taxed.

SunBelt Asia in Stick's column, their advice section a few weeks ago, said the owner, a Thai national, may import it with not so high duty, if the owner had lived abroad and the car has been owned for more than 18 months. Exactly that time, now.

The car is in my name but legally married, should qualify for that? Or any other car we might had owned prior to the move for more than 18 months (Toyota Prius hybrid by then).

No, the Vehicle has to be registered in your wife's name and been used by her for 18 Months prior to moving back to Thailand, for a Foreigner to import a vehicle tax free you need to have lived / worked in Thailand over 12 months and have valid WP.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

I'd like to take advantage of importing a car but, living in US, have no desire to convert it to left hand driving. I may consider a high end motorcycle when the time comes to move back. How would Thai authorities know if the Thai wife drove it, even if it was registered to her? Would joint title with the spouse count?

Archived