: Thank you my friend and answer all the questions

jasmine

I found this site from searching for Information on Bangkok night life and the fascination of some Western men on Thailand, especially on Thai women. My curiousity was prompted by a conversation with 2 young German females in Thailand the last time I visited on 2/2002. It is interesting to read about relationship posted.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a female who was born in Thailand many moons ago. Finished High school in Thailand and spent over a year in Thammasart University. I received both Bachelor Degree and M.S. from the universities in the States, have lived and worked (IT Industry) in the US and Europe (for US Government) for over 30 years. Never exposed to the Bangkok nigh life even though I am quite curious.

Want to let you know that I am impressed with the kindness you showed on the post named "Jittima". Learning a lot form the posts. Again your kindness has touched me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine,

Welcome to the board. You will find an incredibly diverse group of people here, with an equally diverse set of opinions. But we (almost) all love Thailand and the nightlife.

Of course, your research will not be complete until you buy that inexpensive ticket to the land of your birth and see for yourself.

J22J

Jasmine,

Welcome to an other Thai female, although westernised at what point?

Your participation will be appreciated and I hope you can help with our mystery that you qualified so good with "fascination of some Western men on Thailand, especially on Thai women."

We still don't know why for sure ourselves, but we are a bunch of addicts here.

Jasmine,

Welcome !

Clearly, you are an open-minded person who is not easily shocked. I hope that you enjoy the posts - there are a wide range of opinions, many of which are expressed in the most graphic terms. I dont necessarily agree with everything I see here, but the moderators walk a fantastic tightrope between censorship and anarchy.

Enjoy.

Artie

My experience over the last thirty years based on the people I have known has shown the filipino women have adapted to the west much better than the Thai's.

I almost married a Japanese once. Always did wonder if that would have worked out.

Thanks for all the welcome. A lot of people think that I am open-minded and westernized. I donot see many Thais but keep up the language by reading Thai a lot. I do speak to my mother and brother by phone monthly. I was active with other Asians at work to raise the awareness of equality on promotion at work when I worked in New Orleans, Louisiana 5 years ago. Now my husband and I live in West Virginia, and work in Washington DC and Maryland areas (I have 2 offices). Met a few Thais at a Thai temple in Virginia, talked to a few but do not keep contact with anyone. My free time is quite limited from commuting to work 4 hours a day, work around 9 hrs./a day, I am not worth much at the end of the day.

One of the experience my husband and I had of night life was in Chiangmai. We went to a ballroom dance place and we had a wonderful time even though one of the dance place employees asked me to show him a VD card. This was over 10 years ago. I spent most my Thailand visiting time at my mother's house up north of Thailand, have not seen Bangkok for at least 8 years.

What I have noticed about the Thais in Thailand for the past few years is that materials seem to be more important than at the time I was growing up. I am not so young so it could very be that I still hang on what it was like so many years ago. I was renting a room in a dormitory during the High School in Bangkok and it was Baht 150/month and my total monthly income receive from my father who was a patrol policeman was only Baht 600 and I had more than enough. That was sooo long ago.

Today is the Sunday night before the Memorial day holiday, so I have a little time for the board. My husband and I may go to the Washington DC for the concert, however we may change our mind for it was on the radio that the security is quite high due to possible terrorist threat.

Again thanks for the welcome.

Jasmine,

This line from your post saddens me :

One of the experience my husband and I had of night life was in Chiangmai. We went to a ballroom dance place and we had a wonderful time even though one of the dance place employees asked me to show him a VD card.

I guess that highlights the entrenched attitudes that many people (Thai and non-Thai) have in Thailand when they see a Thai woman with a westerner. I can imagine what the result would have been if this had happened in the US ....

I do think that the Filipinos seem to adapt better than other Asian nationals; my experience is only in the US with a short 4 years stint in Frankfurt Germany working for the US. Most people I have worked with are from India, and Europe (in the past jobs, my current jobs, I am the only foreign born), could be because of the IT industry or geographic area and because of the way the US is now, companies are quite careful on the employees background. I used to have lots of Filipinos friends, actually I belonged to a Filipino Social Club at one time and I think they adapt very well. I have known a Japanese who worked with me 3 years ago and still a friend, who was quite respected on her professional knowledge. On another hand I met 2 Thai females from Issan (older ones) who seemed to adapt very well, one of them works in a factory and another one works as a hotel housekeeper. These 2 women really impressed me for the capabilities to find good, happy lives despite their 4 years of education from Thailand. One important point I'd like to mention though, these 2 women appreciate the opportunities to have their jobs and are quite proud of what they do and have a few American friends.

So there are many variables to be considered how well a foreign born adapt to a new country. In my experience, it is the attitude towards the adopted country and how well a person assimilates into the prevailing culture that can make a big difference. I have spent more than half of my life in the US, still there are some words and protocols that baffle me. There are words that I will never be able to pronounce like a native. I find people are quite kind when told that I was not sure what they meant. At work, it is common to make sure that the communication is understood as intended; no one seems to mind the questions I can stupidly ask.

Mr. Stickman wrote on his last week?s Weekly that the Thai women do not adapt well and that may be true on some cases depending on so many variables. I have heard many sad stories and it is hard to understand. One day I will post the stories I was told.

Cheers

Archived