It Began As A Joke...

JaiRai

the idea of leaving bangkok and going to udon that is. after receiving a series of random unusual sms....

usually i tell women i am dead broke, absolutely penniless - as a means to avoid. sometimes you get an unusual response like the one from pui - a somewhat crazy and memorable lass from bangkok beat. nevertheless, i'm only here for a few weeks so...ummm.... what????

F8E3241C-2C19-4343-BE91-57F11785605B.PNG

or this note from Gee, a self professed nice girl met at Climax at 3am. she supposedly worked a kiosk at terminal, i never checked to verify. she did get my heart thumping.... but whatever.

2015-04-29%2B08.28.56%2Bpm.png

then there was the bonafide crazy woman i met at insanity club - also probably about 3am - who topped out missed calls at 99 and kept going. holy fuck - that did it. i'm going to udon.

2015-04-29%2B08.21.31%2Bpm.png

and so i sent a few email dispatches to my friends from udon

----

alright - after making a friggin circle of the bars - omg - goodness gracious i need to head back to bangkok. this is like a fucking awful scene - the girls are atrocious. i think i saw one cutey and prayed she was indicative of the rest. she wasn't.

good god. i think i'm going to wake up early and just schedule a flight back to bangkok. i mean there are a few bars here - but most of the girls are older and heavier than i am. and they wear a ton of perfume.... HELP ME!!!!

the bars close at midnight. i'm actually in the throes of depression. i'll make one more cycle around 10pm and then call it. 97% odds will be solo.

well hey, at least i got a night's rest right. :)

----

going to cm soon. here's how much i go back and forth or rush to judgment -- went back out for one last walk of the nightlife area last night and stopped to play pool at a corner bar of this area called "day/night". girls were friendly and funny, nobody i was really into but hey... anyway some other girl then shows up out of nowhere who is like 90% my style (30, hard athletic body wearing daisy dukes and a cut off tank top - life truly got good). name of ***.

long story short - stayed there and racked up a 3k baht bar tab (which ain't easy in udon, that's a lot of drinks for several people), but those girls had a good night and I didn't care. i hook up with *** and she takes me to some place called Mr. Tongs. now you gotta see this place to believe it. Udon is def not bangkok, but Mr Tongs is like some upscale LA club on the inside and the staff are all dressed up and ultra professional and courteous. it was just a strange phenomenon but a strange enough place that you gotta see it - small but a lot of almost baccarra-esque type girls dressed up and hanging around. and this was def after hours.

anyway tonight she's taking me to some thai bars, should be interesting. yeah, i stayed in udon and didn't go back to bangkok. straight punk."

-----

alright so it panned out kinda weird in udon. when i sent you guys the last email good ol' *** had gone home and i was going to meet her later and then take off for some straight thai places - not another falang in sight. that was the plan. except starting a few hours later she called me like 13 times while i was trying to sleep - when i didn't answer she showed up at my hotel room un-announced. whoa - i don't like that. way too pushy and possessive for someone i haven't even known a full 24 hours.

so then i'm regretting it - and once again thailand turns me into a liar (i know - no excuse - it's lame). i make up some story that i hurt my back falling down the stairs at work a couple weeks ago and i can't sleep or hardly move. she offers to stay blah blah blah but i insist - no, i really need some sleep and rest - and she finally leaves.

what sucks is - the whole bar area in udon is so small i can't possibly go out to any of them and have her not know about it. so i just stayed in. fucking punk again. and she shows up again at the hotel - drunk - at like 11pm. dafuqqqqqqqqq

anyway - just got to chiang mai

--------

yeah. to be continued.

and to paraphrase the great confucius: "play that funky music white boy" ;)

4339BFB0-1230-4CAA-8EE9-1CA68C0BD4C7.JPG

Alright, so I write a little dumb and fragmented when ‘mao'… so be it.

If it started as a joke, it ended the same, sans punchline. Rolling back out to the real world today. Too much time around the Bangkok nightlife areas will turn your brain to mush. Hyper saturation of alcohol and women against an uncritical backdrop where every guy thinks they are just the greatest. You know it’s bad when something on TV is more appealing. (The nice lass - not being sarcastic, she’s genuinely good hearted - I’ve spent the past couple days with just left in a tizzy as she was trying to get my attention but I was more interested in watching Pacquiao/Mayweather on channel 7. So be it yet again).

Some nightlife areas are thriving, many are not. The places I typically find myself despite colleagues protest otherwise - late nights and live music, Bangkok Beat, Hillary 2, Climax — still doing very well. At times annoyingly so.

But the shit gets old fast. Same women, same bullshit lines/stories, same gullible tourists and even worse —> know-it-all douchebag ‘experts.' I think it was someone here who once told me that when in Bangkok you have to compromise a little and befriend people you likely wouldn’t back home. My reply to that… oh fuck no. Not interested. Have a handful of friends here both falang/thai and they are people I would respect and feel affection for anywhere. Other than that - going Kon Diao. And while I have no issue with boozing or womanizing, enjoy both — a lot, am seriously fucking disappointed that I have not done more while here. Kinda fucking dumb.

Will be back. And it will be time to move on a bit. And, as for those wacky nightlife areas - sure every now and then it’s interesting, but def not every night - gets boring. There’s a lot in the country that’s appealing juxtaposed against an overwhelming apathy and prejudice, but without a doubt life is more challenging and interesting for me in Thailand than in beautiful Southern California. Yet... still would not make it a life time commitment.

Fuck it. We shall see.

" Nightlife gets boring "......2 words sum up the entertainment industry - " Pooying ha ngern " (sorry about the transliteration but don`t have a Thai keyboard at the moment ).If you don`t splash the cash you become invisible,or worse,resented for taking up space that better paying customers could occupy.Buying friends through " Lady drinks ".In the past I`m sure it was more fun,but now its just about the $,or maybe I`m getting old :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you're getting old sir, you're right. After 10 days I was sick of the nightlife in Bangkok. Douchebaggery was on the rise - more hooligan types in the bars, and the typical pooying was less attractive, middle aged, hardened, more mercenary. And that's when I was drinking, haha. God forbid I ever hit the bars sober.

More than anything I became irritated with myself, I'm often critical of my friends for doing the same routine every night yet I am just as guilty. Too lazy to leave the comfort zone.

Fuck that.

• Like 1

" Nightlife gets boring "......2 words sum up the entertainment industry - " Pooying ha ngern " (sorry about the transliteration but don`t have a Thai keyboard at the moment ).If you don`t splash the cash you become invisible,or worse,resented for taking up space that better paying customers could occupy.Buying friends through " Lady drinks ".In the past I`m sure it was more fun,but now its just about the $,or maybe I`m getting old :beer:

Dexi,

Not so much getting old just a change of priorities, it happens to the best of us. Even myself after over 20 years of living in downtown Bangkok decided on a change of pace the middle of last year and moved away from the farang ghetto and it was the best move I ever made. Even though I have been away from the nightlife scene for over a decade the bar scene was also repetative, Molly Mallones, Robin Hood, Londoner etc repeat week in week out.

I much prefer it out in my neighborhood now, much more relaxing and an alternative social scene (i.e. better dining options) and if was to want an evening downtown its only a 25 minute taxi ride away, not exactly moved to Baan Nok,