Sukhumvit One Week Millionaire Recommendations

Ray-Ray

I've got about four days to kill and a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm looking for guest friendly, nice pool, wireless internet (amazed how many places still charge extra for that shit these days), within a few blocks of a BTS, pretty much the standard stuff. I'm looking to budget up to 10K THB per night. Executive suites that kind of thing is preferable.

Anyone got a good recommendation? I'm looking into Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit, Center Point Terminal 21, Grand Millenium, but I'm sure there are others I don't know about. Also first hand references count for a lot instead of just going by their websites.

This is my terrain, Ray-Ray! Although a slightly cheaper version - I buy off-label, I guess. My MO is roll into own, set up camp in one of the suites somewhere along Sukhumvit, and let the next few days unfold in all their ragged glory, with an array of guests, few daylight hours spent outdoors, room service, bottle service, service... What I tend to like are the hotels with big multi-room suites, lots of floor space, balcony perhaps, discreet front desk and eminently guest-friendly. In past days I didn't mind crashing through five-star lobbies at 11 am with my three new friends and a bottle of Beam, headed back to the room - but now I'm getting a little more distinguished, more gray hairs, and prefer a slightly more low profile approach, and hotels with a little bit different rather than the big chains, even if the big chains do sharper creases, softer towels and more expensive bath products. These are all much bigger rooms than you'll get at Sheraton, Westin, Millenium, JWM, Four Seasons, less lux features, but much cheaper and more fun all around, absolutely - I've stayed everywhere, these are the ones I choose now. Never stay standard or deluxe or superior when you're burning RnR money - suites only. Anyway, I have put in my time - my blood, sweat, tears, and dollars - over more years than I'd like to admit to sort out my favorites in my particular category. That said, here are some of my favorite suites for my RnR before heading back to the desert or shithole city or middle of nowhere to start counting down the days to my next RnR... In no order, as they come to mind:

- S31, soi 31 - has giant one floor panoramic suites, separate bedroom, sound system, two story windows, discreet entrance. Not really much in the way of public space luxury - more of a stripped down semi-chic luxury hotel, but you can go for multifloor duplex suites or the round single-floor suites. Pool with glass walls, I don't swim much, but looks cool.

- Column hotel - soi 16, enter off Asok. Gigantic suites only, as far as I remember, 35th 45th floors, something like that - you are way up, balconies, giant suites, very private. If you want to throw a party, there are some suites on the top floor that are multi-bedroom, giant living area, plus basketball-court-sized deck outside - something like 200 sq. meters. Somehow I really like this place, keep making a fool of myself and being shy to go back, but then doing it all over again...

- Ah, the Davis Hotel. Soi 22 or soi 24, out the end away from Suk. Don't knock it til you've tried it - and make sure to do the right rooms, the main wing, the suites all have fancy names but kind of similar - Presidential, Ambassador, Diplomat. Not expensive, and fuck - guest friendly? The place is owned by Chuwit himself, so it'b better be! I can't remember the category that I like - dark wooden walls, two rooms, bath, ktichen - no balconies, though. The real feature at Davis is actually the Baan Davis bungalows - which is downplaying it, they are houses in some semi-traditional Thai style, surrounded by gardens and fountains and a small pool, each private with its own gate, trees all around, two floors of rooms all to yourself, and you're in the middle of bangkok - it's a nice way to go, the kind of what-the-fuck only chuwit would stick in Bangkok.

- Ok, one from the middle of the road: Marriott Executive Apartments, Sukhumvit Park, also on soi 24, just up the soi from Davis. I really like these suites, they're spaces, well designed, comfortable - but standard business suites in general.

- Another stand-by favorite: Fraser Suites, soi 11. Value for money, central, comfortable, balconies - but loud. If you expect to sleep at night, it can be tough with Q bar and others going loud these days.

- from the Who Knew?! category: Centrepoint Pratunam - they have four presidential suites on the top floor, sprawl of rooms, outdoor shower, bizarrely huge closets - privacy, ridiculous space, and character: not what you expect at Centrepoint Pratunam... cheap too.

- other weird big suites: Siri Sathorn on saladaeng soi 1; Lebua Tower club multi-bedroom suites (strange design, but good for a handful of people); Muse and Banyan Tree both have some ridiculous but expensive duplexes and lux suites, too.

I have earned this knowledge through hard work, repeat stays, and frequent 12:30 pm "can I extend please?" calls... If you want to play millionaire in a big suite where you don't have to worry much about stepping on other people's toes or crashing business guy's trips or family vacations - good places for a party, relaxation, do some work, whatever.

YimSiam

Mr YimSiam ,

excellent contribution to quality tourism and civilisation in general . May I add as follows :

Although usually domiciled by the River Chao Praya I did recently discover the advantages of urban living . Such as the Beergarden , Soi 7 and Naree Massage Soi 4 . My greetings go out to Mrs Pa as I am talking about Naree massage , she deserves the service medal of the Thai Tourism Authority in Gold but I am leaving the subject .

My recommendation is the Landmark Hotel , corner room . The Landmark is guestfriendly insofar as the night duty man calls the ambulance if you are coming home on your own , they think you must be seriously ill . The real advantage of this property is the immediate neighbourhood to aforementioned tourist hot spots in particular under the influence of intoxicating liquids , for example Gin and Tonic . Another advantage are the freelancers on their terrace although mostly catering for people who are suffering from a granny fetish .

Evaluating your brilliant elaboration I might give the Davis a try next time , after having almost completed my erotic to do-list I have added another point of interest which is a private summit with a multiple of female Thai citizens . Not sure if I like it but how could I ever find out otherwise . Against my expectations a rendezvous with an after midnight Sukhumvit overaged freelancer resulted in truely excellent performance .

One never knows .

Mr. Buffalo,

If I have contributed to tourism, to the quality tourism that has served me so well in thailand all these years, then bravo, a feather in my cap. If I have made a positive contribution to civilization in general, then - I am sorry for that, and am unlikely to make the same mistake again.

I've been very fond of Royal President, on Suk Soi 15, for several years now.

Similarly, the President Solitaire, soi 11 off to the right at the 7. Weird suites from another classier era - remind me somehow of those Asian Fever Hustler vids, but that may be less the rooms themselves than the activities taking place.

One more in the odd-ball hotel category is Panthip Suites off of Sathorn. It's got a bunch of run down rooms and a bunch of cleaned up rooms, but they are all massive, big enough for some real indoor sports, and nice big balconies overlooking a very lush area of trees and pools and greenery that extends straight thru to Lumpini - even on fairly low floor you look out over green and have the sense that you must be on a tropical vacation, either headed to the beaches or just back from Chiang Rai or something... Cheap, cheap. From another era.

No city I've seen offers even anything remotely like the diversity and sheer volume and low prices that Bangkok does. Plus, it has hotels, too.

YimSiam

No city I've seen offers even anything remotely like the diversity and sheer volume .......

YimSiam

I am , dear Sir , deeply touched by what you are saying . I think the same . Though one should avoid making the mistake of moving there , reality spoils almost anything .