Last Call On Soi 11! Cheap Charlie’S, Stash, Tapas Cafe And Chez Pape Host Closing Parties Tonight

Flashermac

Tonight is the absolute last night to drink in everyone’s favorite sub-soi of Sukhumvit Soi 11. Raise a glass to celebrate 35 years of drinks at Cheap Charlie’s with a million of your friends in a tiny alley.

As we first announced back in June, the sub soi that has played host to Suk 11 Hostel, Charley Brown’s Mexicana, Tapas Cafe, Chez Pape, Stash, The Alchemist, Kai New Zealand and others, will be closed to make room for real estate development.

Expect to see everyone you’ve ever known, to wait forever to get a drink and to have a blast.

Though some of the establishments have already closed their doors, Cheap Charlie’s, Stash, Tapas Cafe and Chez Pape have organized closing night parties starting at 6pm tonight, some of which feature free food and possibly booze as well.

Stash also has a lineup of DJs that promise to keep the mood upbeat.

It’s a sad event, for sure, but let’s make sure these special places go out with a bang so that we can “welcome†another nameless, faceless, piece of shit hotel.

Oh no, we’re not bitter.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/last-call-soi-11-cheap-charlies-stash-tapas-cafe-chez-pape-host-closing-parties-tonight/

Yes, Flash. Memories. When I first introduced my brother to the nooks and crannies way back when. Think there was an Indian place just round the back? Race Course Bar, Patpong, run by a friend back in the '80's. The other one opposite with the 'egg' getting old, memory sometimes fails me. Three Roses, Nana. Many friends, some passed on. The place next door, most of the girls came from the same village. DC10. Spider's Web. Dollhouse at Clinton Plaza. Didn't fancy any of the other places there. Those were the days. Oh, and the Federal Hotel coffeeshop. With some friends who were Vietnam vets.. Now gone..

However, have not been for years. For whoever is there, I'll raise a glass for the occasion at home. Unfortunately it's the price of progress :rolleyes::(

Good lord, they will not stop until the city is scoured clean of any interesting nooks or crannies - and a city needs it's nooks and crannies!

I miss the Tunnel (between Suk Soi 7 and Suk Soi 5).

Many years ago, in a hypnosis seminar, I used the Tunnel as the basis for an off-the-cuff storytelling induction. Worked beautifully.

• Like 1

Oooh! The Mermadium, Nana, when there were still mermaids swimming in it. Circa late '80's.

The ground floor of Nana is mainly just several big bars now. NEP is damned expensive these days too. I only go there when a friend is in town and wants to meet there.

The alley between soi 7 and 5 is gone? Fucking hell. The one with bizarro characters hovering around, and the country road branch (and the pool bar just across)? And the incredible food cart carving off gyros/kebabs at the end? The world just got a little more mundane and drab.

The place I will miss most is without a doubt is Bangkok Beat (which I referred to as Bangkok Beach for longest time not paying attention to the sign).

Loved the Tapas place also. Cheap Charlies was cool, but it was usually like a sausage fest of male tourists telling me how great the place was and I'd get a little worn out.

Out in late April, have to rearrange my whole routine of blitzkrieging the beer bars from afternoon till midnight then making an ass out of myself at bangkok beat. This is most depressing.

I miss the Tunnel (between Suk Soi 7 and Suk Soi 5).

Many years ago, in a hypnosis seminar, I used the Tunnel as the basis for an off-the-cuff storytelling induction. Worked beautifully.

I had some of my (perhaps unfortunately) formative days hanging out in the tunnel area - there was an internet cafe with a hair salon upstairs, and down the hall they rented rooms of particular disrepute. Still in touch with some of the characters I met there ten-plus years ago, but man, that was bad news in there! Still, love to scrape along at the edge of the gutters of the little sois - much more fun and interesting that walking down the broad avenues!