Darwin Awards - Gassed By Bbq

Coss

A neighbour who rescued three people from certain death has revealed those inside the West Auckland home had collapsed trying to revive each other with water.

Glendene man Krish Patel told the Herald he got a desperate call from a young woman who lived at the house saying her husband and his parents had mysteriously dropped to the floor.

Patel, who rushed over to the Barrys Rd property he part-owns, said he walked in to find three people lying motionless on floor.

Two men were in the hallway and a woman was in the living room.

"She asked can you come over, everyone is unconscious and falling down in my house."

"When I went there three people were lying on the floor. The old man was half-awake and half-asleep lying in the hallway."

Moments later the woman also collapsed in his wife's arms.

Patel said he rang emergency services and then started to drag the unconscious family to safety. Unable to lift the older woman from the living room he started to get air through the house not realising how grave the situation was.

"I didn't know how serious it was. She just told me everybody is falling down."

"It was shocking when I saw them on the floor. There was the dad and the son with water next to them and I thought, 'Wow, what's happening there'," he said.

The woman had told him they had tried to rouse each other by splashing cold water on their skin before becoming dizzy and collapsing.

Patel said as air started to circulate through the house each person rallied.

"I didn't know there was a gas problem. There was no smell at all."

"As I opened the doors all of them started to come around. "

All were taken to hospital for treatment.

Today the Waitemata District Health Board said four people were in a stable condition at Waitakere Hospital.

Patel said the family had been using a charcoal barbecue to cook their evening meal before bringing the warm embers inside to heat the home.

The odourless deadly fumes from the barbecue were believed to have caused the near tragedy.

Nearly two years ago a mother and her three children died after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in their Ashburton home after a car was left running to charge a battery in a connected garage.

Dangers of using charcoal barbecues indoors

Charcoal grills can lead to life-threatening poisoning

Carbon monoxide is formed from the incomplete combustion of carbon-containing material

Open windows and doors do not offer sufficient protection

The risk of poisoning is severe because the gas can spread unnoticed around the room.

Source: German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11874533

Teen suffers severe burns after accidentally setting himself on fire in Bay of Plenty

A 17-year-old man has suffered severe burns to his arms, legs and abdomen after setting himself on fire in Bay of Plenty. (note: Bay of Plenty is a region in NZ, not a code phrase for trousers)

The man was starting a rubbish fire with petrol when the accident occurred on Richard Street, Opotiki, at 2.18pm on Monday.

St John paramedics stabilised the man before he was flown to Waikato Hospital.

The Trustpower TECT Rescue Helicopter was called due to the seriousness of the injuries and distance to the hospital.

"We arrived to find an explosion from a rubbish fire and a patient with severe burns," Fire Northern Communications shift manager Daniel Nicholson said.

It was not clear if the fire was outside or inside, Nicholson said.

A fire investigator was looking into the circumstances around the explosion.

Police also attended.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/93603324

Ambulance, Helicopter, Fire Engine, Police, exciting day in NZ.

Well they do call out the "HAZMAT"squad and full decontamination if someone breaks a Mercury in Glass thermometer in NZ Schools.

We'll demand the resignation of a government, if a group of mothers feel that one of their precious angels, was slighted or insulted in the playground.

We'll demand the resignation of a government, if a group of mothers feel that one of their precious angels, was slighted or insulted in the playground.

Same would happen in the states today. When I was a kid I climbed a tree at school, fell out, and dented my skull. My parents, rightfully IMHO, apologized to the school for the inconvenience of ambulances and they dented me some more when I got home.

Same would happen in the states today. When I was a kid I climbed a tree at school, fell out, and dented my skull. My parents, rightfully IMHO, apologized to the school for the inconvenience of ambulances and they dented me some more when I got home.

I did similar but dented the ground