Advice For A Thai Widow On Her Property Rights?

Flashermac

It seems an American expat has died and left his Thai wife in the shit. He couldn't be arsed to take care of signing everything over to his Mrs, even though he knew his days were limited.

Now the Mrs has to prove her right to their house ... which I expect should be in her name. The car is in his name, but she should have the registration papers around somewhere. Shouldn't she be able to transfer that to her name?

Anyone know what to do? She educated herself, but has no idea where to start.

• Like 1

Getting a good estate lawyer is a start. It is important to determine what is in the estate and how much is owed. Nowadays, many accounts are paperless, so statements may not arrive in the traditional mail. Unless the passwords and the websites of the accounts are available, it may be difficult to determine what is in the estate.

Does LOS have "Legal Aid" (free government service)

If so I would suggest she turn there first. Lawyers in cases like this can be virtual criminals. A huge chunk will disappear very quickly if they are given the chance.

I remember when I went through my divorce I did everything myself and cost me $600. Had friends who have spent $120K