Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I'd just like to take this moment to express my sadness and condolences to those effected by the Texas Church Shoot 'em up.

I'd also like to express my profound dismay and disgust at the POTUS, Donnie Trumperbelle, who just was on the international TV extravaganza and said, " we are very lucky, that there was one person with a gun there, to shoot the killer, otherwise there would not have been 26 deaths, there would have been hundreds..."

This is a perpetration of the two myths that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and "to stop a bad man with a gun, you need a good man with a gun".

There is of course the sane, counter argument to those bumper stickers, if neither of these folk had guns, there'd be no shootings.

Imagine, if the killer had had a Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (SMAW)

The USA as far as I know don't let private citizens possess Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapons

'nuff said

7246b53b590df493b0ff763223efe5dc.jpg

Could be that one might obtain a permit for a SMAW and legally own one in the USA.

Oh, no guns and strict control....works so well in Chicago! You had better rethink your statement...

All the laws needed are already on the books, but....

1. lack of enforcement

2. judges giving BS sentences, like probation instead of hard prison time

3. early releases from prison

4. how many mass killers were on heavy duty legal drugs?

5. Biased and inaccurate reporting by the news media

6. having this issue turned in to a political issue rather then working to solve the issue

etc etc etc

There is much more that needs to be done rather then thinking that locking up all the guns will solve the problem

• Like 1

So tell me what would have happened if the neighbour with the hunting rife hadn't been there? Hundreds wouldn't have been killed, but certainly the death toll would have been higher, no matter how many "good men" were there. Are proposing a new myth ... that goodness will always prevail? :hmmm:

... El Paso officers who detained Devin Kelley five years ago were told he was "a danger to himself and others".

Kelley had been sent to the hospital after he was court-martialled for assaulting his ex-wife and stepson during a stint in the US Air Force.

He was "attempting to carry out death threats" against "his military chain of command", the report states.

Officials say the assault charge should have legally barred him from owning guns.

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-41907943

Air Force admits fault in reporting Texas shooter's past crimes

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas — The gunman who killed 26 people at a small-town Texas church had a history of domestic violence that spanned years before the attack, and was able buy weapons because the Air Force did not submit his criminal history to the FBI as required by military rules.

If the past offenses by Devin Patrick Kelley — who fired at least 450 rounds at helpless worshippers on Sunday morning — had been properly shared, they would have prevented him from buying a gun, the Air Force acknowledged Monday.

Investigators also revealed that Kelley had sent threatening text messages to his mother-in-law, a member of First Baptist, before the attack, and that sheriff's deputies had responded to a domestic violence call in 2014 at his home involving a girlfriend who became his second wife.

Later that year, he was formally ousted from the Air Force for a 2012 assault on his ex-wife in which he choked her and struck her son hard enough to fracture his skull.

At a news conference in South Korea, President Donald Trump was asked if he would support "extreme vetting" for gun purchases like he's called for "extreme vetting" for people entering the country. Trump responded by saying stricter gun control measures might have led to more deaths in the shooting because a bystander who shot at the gunman would not have been armed.

http://www.tbo.com/n...-crimes/2343543

p.s. I fail to understand why civilians should be allowed to purchase weapons such as Kelley used, at least without undergoing a serious background check. There simply is no reason for the ordinary citizen possessing such a rifle. That weapon looks more advanced than anything I carried in the Army!

Well done, zoomies!

The Air Force says a mistake allowed Devin Patrick Kelley to buy guns. On Sunday Kelley opened fire on a small church in Sutherland Springs, Texas.

He also had a known record of domestic violence. In 2012, while he was in the U.S. Air Force, he was court-martialed for assaulting his then-wife and stepson. He served a year in confinement at a Naval facility in California after a plea bargain.

Under federal law, his conviction disqualified him from legally possessing a firearm. But there was an apparent breakdown in getting information about his conviction to the proper federal database.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/06/562320017/the-texas-church-shooter-should-have-been-legally-barred-from-owning-guns

Ladies, I am not trying to launch a gun control debate, perhaps you can understand that, where I come from the culture is, that by and large, the general populace don't have guns, excepting genuine and licensed sports enthusiasts, hunters and farmers. There are some criminals with guns, but even so, the shootings that do occur are in the order of 2~3 a year, and are generally other criminals, and numbers shot are 1or 2.

And when one of these horrific incidents occurs in the US, my first instinct is to contrast the situation here, with the situation as I perceive it in the US.

What I think, is that in the US, most people have at least one gun and would not hesitate to use it.

So tell me what would have happened if the neighbour with the hunting rife hadn't been there? Hundreds wouldn't have been killed, but certainly the death toll would have been higher, no matter how many "good men" were there. Are proposing a new myth ... that goodness will always prevail? :hmmm:

I think I was trying to say if neither of them had guns, no shooting....

p.s. I fail to understand why civilians should be allowed to purchase weapons such as Kelley used, at least without undergoing a serious background check. There simply is no reason for the ordinary citizen possessing such a rifle. That weapon looks more advanced than anything I carried in the Army!

I agree, and again, to contrast the situation as I perceive it in the US and in NZ:

Here, the background checks and vetting, that goes on, to become a legal owner, is stringent and thorough and is followed up, every year and monitored.

Where as my understanding is that in the US, you can get a gun virtually unchallenged,

I'm stunned, I saw Donnie Trumperbelle, who just was on the international TV extravaganza, againilly.

His speech to the South Korean National Assembly:

Imagine a University associate professor, giving a lecture on the topic of North Korea and it's failings and evils, to a bunch of 17 year old kids.

Well that's how it was written, now imagine Trumperbelle delivering said speech, with the help of those glass screen teleprompters and with ad-libs of how big and bester the USA's weapons and Aircraft Carriers are and how South Korea has done very well.

Truly Cringeworthy and I'm not even an American.

I wonder if Trumperbell knows, that when the applause rang out ,in the South Korean National Assembly, that they were just being polite, it's a trait of theirs, it's not a sign of adulation.

I can imagine, when he finally gets to go to Britain, he'll tell them all about the Royal Family and Henry the eighth and fish and chips and the magna carta...