US visa ,what if I change a visa type ?

Hi guys,

I am thinking about to study in US, I am now holding a 10 years visa(B1/B2) Can I change it to student visa in USA? The course is about 17 credit per term, what if I pay for the first then drop, working saving money for the next term, the gap time that I am not in the Univ, would effect my visa?(I will finish this program in 4 years instead 2, sighh) I know it is maybe ridiculous idea ,Can it works like that? Thx you.

You should be able to change your B1/B2 to a student visa if your study is approved by the INS, but you will not be allowed to do any work on your student visa.

Maybe someone can give you more info, else check the www.ins.gov website.

Best regards,

Danish30

They are pretty strict about this now. I'm sure no university would even let you study on a tourist visa. You'll have no prob getting the student visa if you have a 10 year tourist visa.

Sadaams Hussein stepson was just arrested in Miami for attending a flight school as a visitor.

BTW, nice swap with the magazine for my boring articles. Your mag was more exciting and still sits on the coffee table :-) The companies' website is almost done..check it out sometime.

Thx Show time, sorry for that:) really, but I have been traveling around for my Mag.I dont have much time lately,sorry again. BTW I had seen your treat about US visa for Mapper who need more time with his GF .What is that type of visa?

Yeah, I know it is illegal to work in student visa.But I know a lot of Thai student working in restaurants and such in NYC. I will let your guys know the news smile.gif

Thx you for your information.

You can probably change your tourist visa to a student F-1 visa while you are here, although I think they frown on that. On an F-1 visa you can only work legally on-campus and I think then only after your first year. Campus jobs usually don't pay very well. You are right about the practicality of illegal work here in New York City. We have many illegal aliens working here, both students and non-students. We never hear that they get into trouble. In fact, the New York City government is pro-immigrant and probably prevents the federal govt from enforcing immigration laws here, except in flagrant cases. So, you can probably work off-campus and get away with it. However, in that case your employer may exploit you in one way or another, such as not paying you since you can't call the law. Also, if you were to get caught working here illegally you would be deported and prevented from re-entering for 10 years. The INS is planning to get a computer system to track that students with an F-1 are really attending classes, but they are probably years away from doing it.

So far 9/11 has not had any visible impact on the enforcement of immigration policy here in NYC. Good luck to you!

KhunPadThai

You can adjust from a B-2 to a f-1 but the regulations are either changing or have already changed. The new way if you wish to adjust is when applying for admission you must declare to the inspector that you are an "intending student", this will be noted on your I-94 and if it is not your status can not be adjusted.

The visa I had refered to is called the E-2

Have 4 articles on the site about it... under "owning a business in the USA" Investment is 3-4 million baht among other requirements. Sometime on a service biz, you can be approved with as little as 2 mill

You might qualify under a L-1 also if your company puts a branch office in the States. You then are appointed as a key employee. You must of been working for them as a manager in the past 6 months. No investment requirement.

Archived