alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

>>>What is your opinion of educational and professional choices a Bg could have that may result in lesser income but start her on the way to re-insert in the life that the great majority of women in Thailand lead<<<

Hi,

Their choices would be determined by the amount of money saved as B/G's, don't you think? To educate themselves takes money. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here??? Are you asking what professional choices they have as bargirls, or what doors may be opened to them because they have saved, and gotten out of the business, and then can therefore aspire to become a brain surgeon ???

HT

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya127,

I'm not sure if I get your question right as well. But I'll take a shot.

Some job that poor girls can survive.

House maid I find this job is the most 'money saving' potencial. They are provided with accomodation. Free meals. No transportation cost. Some get other benefit like free clothes(some used, some new, depends). FYI, my maid gets 4k a month. She sends the money back home 3k every month. She has her own room. I ask her to call us Pii (¾Õè = elder sibling) instead of Khun.

Thai traditional masseuse No kidding. Makes good money. It takes a few months to learn and then start to earn money while learning more and get more money as they get more skills.

Salesgirls/shop assistant not in big department stores but in a general shops. Most of the time the shop owners also provide accomodations as well s food just like working as a house maid.

House cleaning lady/cloth washer They can offer these service for many families on a daily basis or a monthly basis. My neighbors hire a young girl to pick their clothes up everyday.

Baby sitter/Care provider for the elderly Department of Employment offers free training for the unemplyed.

Enough for now,

GTG

I will add three more if the girl has your average BG education(primary to secondary):

1. golf caddy

3. factory worker

4. street/food vendor

Cardinalblue

I have found small shop staffs usually dominated by family and friends of family so for BG to land a job in this area without connections to that shop is very difficult.

I agree with GTG somany alternatives way to work

Cleaning ladies at my office earn atleast 5,500 per month(plus over time)

baby sister/ house cleaning lady about the same but very difficult to find one because they all want to working in the factory.

Waitress 200 TB a day.

Sell girls in departmentstore earn 5,800 +commisson

If they can drive they can be a taxi driver.

A lot of Isaan girls came to working as a gardener for my villege.

"House maid I find this job is the most 'money saving' potencial. They are provided with accomodation. Free meals. No transportation cost. Some get other benefit like free clothes(some used, some new, depends). FYI, my maid gets 4k a month. She sends the money back home 3k every month. She has her own room. I ask her to call us Pii (¾Õè = elder sibling) instead of Khun."

I love it when you talk about your maid! (A recent post suggested you had more than one, by the way.) It's so innocent on your part, but you don't realise how much stick you're going to get if certain people read it!

Back to the subject... I know many girls came to the scene from all kinds of respectable office work, so that's an alternative. In fact, my girlfriend's still in contact with people from her former office (one of them actually introduced her to the bar scene!)

I happen to know quite a few women from my girlfriend's old school. One is her sister, who went to university and is now in a respectable office job; a couple of her friends are teachers; by some fluke, I found that one of my Thai teachers was also a schoolmate!; and lastly, by a lesser fluke (I tend to ask a lot of questions!), about three bar-girls I met around the Nana area came from the same school!)

Great! I'm so glad people like you provide the "opportunity" for poor young ladies to be your maids. The way you describe how you ask her to call you pii instead of khun is OFFENSIVE, not illustrative.

No wonder poor young girls seek their own form of empowerment.

GTG,

The alternatives you mentioned for poor girl do indeed exist, but are they true alternatives. No reference in made to the question if they can better themselves through education.

The jobs you mention have no real future and pay very modest to say the least (trad. massage being the exeption perhaps).

How would you see yourself if you can only get employed as a maid of some sort, and earn 3 - 7 K monthly for the rest of your life.

I think the issue here is, once a BG, can you then find something else that suits you, pays reasonable and has some future.

What is your opinion of educational and professional choices a Bg could have that may result in lesser income but start her on the way to re-insert in the life that the great majority of women in Thailand lead.

[color:purple] I woudl like to comment but I don't know exactly what the social, educational, professional and finacial profile that "great majority of women in Thailand lead" . If you could please provide that info then it would be easier to attempt an answer.

On the surface I would say the options are the same for poor and uneducated women everywhere to improve their lot, you will work menial jobs, engage in illicit activities or get married.

My impression of Thailand is that it is extremely difficult to improve one's life socio-economically if one doesn't have a strong family or benefactor to help. Unlike, the West where the government can assume the roles and responsibilities that a well funded family could. color=purple>

Archived