GF in jail

iuytrede

Today my GF called me (I am not in Thailand right now) and told me she was arrested for shoplifting. I have no knowledge about the Thai police and judicial system. Can anybody tell me if her story makes sense/could be true or if it sounds like an excuse to make me send money?

She says she was drunk friday night and shoplifted 3 bottles of perfume (value 1400 B) at Carrefourto show off to her mom and sister. She got caught and spent one night at the police station and 2 nights in jail. The police took her money, but she managed to give most of it (and her mobile) to a friend who works in Carrefour. The police wanted 120,000 B which she didn't have so her case was sent to a court. Today a son of her uncle, a politician, brought her out of jail (I have no idea how important this uncle really is nor do I know how close he is to her family). Tomorrow she has "to go to write signature at sanamlung".Next week she will get her sentence.She is afraid she has to go to jail even her family tells her not to be afraid, her uncle and his lawyer will help.

She asks me to send 20,000-30,000 B to pay for Carrefour and the lawyer and whoever, because her family does not want to "throw all our problems at my uncle".

How does it sound?

PS she tried twice - unsuccessfully - to make me "borrow" similar amounts to her family because supposedly her family owes money to other people and their creditors were about to have her parents arrested. I never payed up and nobody ever got arrested.

So I am a little bit suspicious here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds somewhat phony- although I would hate to say this and then you find out she is in the can-The Thai judicial system to the best of my knowledge does not work that quickly. Shop lift last week get sentanced this week? Also my friend, without being judgmental do you want to associate at all with a girl who gets drunk and shoplifts.? In addition the Thai police wanting 120,000 Baht sounds way too high. Use your best judgment but only you know her character, but from what you have described she sounds shaky at best.

>In addition the Thai police wanting 120,000 Baht sounds way too high.<

Hmm, still possible, maybe a matter of how much they thought they can shake her for. It cost Nok 150k bt to get out of a prosecution for multiple passport and ID card scam. An no, I didn't pay it. (I suppose though that part of it I had paid beforehand, in the form of various donations' to her)

iutrede,

I'm still smarting after reading your post - don't know which part of it sounds like a scam more than another part.

Read it backwards...even worse....

Maybe you tell her - in order to send her money, you'll have to shoplift yourself but for somewhat bigger and more expensive things.

Whether this is a scam or not, who knows...? If she is, or once was, a bargirl, my money would be on it being a scam...

But let me just say one thing. Theft is considered a very serious crime in Thailand and they can lock you up for a very long time... There was a person who stole 78,000 baht from their employer recently and they got 45 years imprisonment. YES, 45 YEARS!

I'd get someone in Thailand to try and verify the story... Good luck.

Stick

>>>>There was a person who stole 78,000 baht from their employer recently and they got 45 years imprisonment. YES, 45 YEARS! <<<<

No way. What were the circumstances? That's unreal.

HT

Archived