what to do with schoolkids?

thai3

My friend's uncle is a headmaster in Rangsit and she has asked me to visit the school (up to 14 yo) next week when I am over there. She sees this as a big favour, and I am really interested to go round another school as I have only visited them in issan.

The problem is she expects me to entertain them in some way, and I can imagine being faces with an expectant rows of bright faces and not being able to think of much beyond asking who is the naughtiest kid in the class, and answering the usual questions about have I got a thai wife and do I like manchester United.

Any ideas for quick games, or ways of getting them to laugh without props or setting fire to the school would be most welcome .-peter

First, ask the kids to ask you questions about your country. Start the ball rolling by asking some of the kids questions.

This... if it works, should take up some time.

Ask them about football.... Michael Owen, David Beckham..

Ask them why they like them... you'll get some good replies.

Ask them about Osama Bin Laden and G W Bush. Make some jokes.

Get them talking about Britney Spears and D2B and all those terrible boy bands.

If all this fails... play hangman... or word snake, where you write a word on the BB and they have to write a new word beginning with the final letter of the word you wrote and then continue it.... make 2 teams so they can compete... boys against girls etc...

Easy as...

You can play a game 'who want to be a millionair' set the questions ,separate them into 2 groups.That would bring so much fun. You could even get them some snacks as a prize.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might try the word snake, although I have my doubts on the ask a country game. Thai's seem even worse than Americans when it comes to geography, maybe change it to towns in thailand starting with A, er can't think of one myself, maybe names of singers would be better.-peter

I can definately concur that Thai kids have no clue what is happening outside their little world.

I was teaching flags / geography to my lot a few weeks ago and from Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia they only managed to recognise Malaysia and that was with one kid thinking it was the American flag !

You have to worry about the future.

I am convinced that the only reason private language + maths + science schools exist is because the majority of kids are too f****** lazy to work during their normal school.

Archived