Taking a Girl to Bed in Bangkok

Ckrisg

Bet that title gets this post a lot of hits. Anybody been to BED , do exclusive bars work in Bangkok.

(Courtesy of Bangkok Post)

You can't miss BED, the latest and much-hyped addition to Bangkok's entertainment scene. Located 100 metres down Sukhumvit Soi 11, this purpose-built (and apparently moveable) restaurant-cum-nightclub is a cross between a flattened oil drum and spacecraft, complete with long staircase tempting earthlings to come on board. Don't hold back _ BED's interior is just as intriguing as its exterior.

One half of the premises is a supper club featuring its own DJ, while the other half comprises a bar, dance floor and a laid-back lounge area, which presumably is partly responsible for the venues odd name. The all-white design is dramatic and very, very contemporary, while the music and sound system are just at the right pitch.

Now fully operational after a series of soft-opening parties, BED is clearly hoping to attract the cream of Bangkok's elite _ movie stars, models, sons and daughters of tycoons, along with the art and advertising crowd. If you don't fit into any of those categories, then BED may not want you, for it seems to have a totally confusing entry policy that aims to weed out non-important-people (NIPs). To get in, apparently, you have to be invited or, at the very least, know someone with connections. Or just look the part. The alternative is to buy a membership, which starts at 30,000 baht.

The name BED obviously lends itself to all kinds of puns, but after only a few weeks these are already beginning to wear decidedly thin. "Who did you go to BED with last night?" is definitely OUT.

For those around long enough to recall, BED calls to mind Byblos, an exclusive '80s nightspot located in the White Inn on Sukhumvit Soi 4. Aimed unashamedly at Bangkok's young and beautiful, it set the mood for a generation of lookalike discos. Anybody out there still remember Byblos?

So that is what that building is.............I have been watching them building this for the last 12 months and wondered what it was. Very odd shaped building. Doesn't sound like I fit in with their crowd so I won't be going. It is just around the corner from the Q Bar, another beautiful people hang out.

Uniformguy

I am looking for the editor of "The Bangkok Scene" or a close name, for this free rag that had a lot of articles on BKK nightlife.

First name was Tom as I recall.

Anybody, specially you old timers know him?

THX

"yes, fancy, music in my opinion sucks, ok I was sober and stood sober due to the 200 bht drinks prices"

not particulary expensive for an upscale club.How was the music??Anybody else been there,knows if it's busy on week day?I'll have a look to that place anyway

It certainly is a lot more than 100 metres down the Soi more like 100 metres past the Federal Hotel which is a long way down the Soi............

Uniformguy

I just left the Federal, didn't even notice this place...200bht/drink is rediculus far any club, especially BKK, IMHO... I'll stick with "Cheap Charlie's" up the street and bring a Walkman... smile.gif

The music is great! I went there last week.Fri-Sat MUST make a reservation (special menu) I think it is a kind of snobbish bar Pls note... platform shoes are not allow! No walk in, you have to have a dinner there.... from those rules,I dont like it much.

Archived