What does "I love you" mean?

pattaya127

When a TG says this, any type, any instance. Just reading travellerNYC post, thinking about all the "i loved yous" heard in LOS. Maybe we can forget about the ones said after a barfined night, but what's your take on this declaration from a TG. Another example, I have a friend who has not been to LOS in 18 months, did not stay in contact, his old GF called him last week, to tell him she loves him. My GF does not like to say it too much, because she thinks it's an over-used cheapened line. I have been a selfish brat all my life, when i hear myself saying it, it still sounds unnatural from me. let's say there is some sincerety ina TG saying it, what is really meant behind it, immaturity, wishful thinking, meal ticket, lack of vocabulary, wonderful bliss???? Well, discuss.....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My TG uses the "Rak" word instead of "Love". Perhaps that has a different meaning to them? Would be interested to know if there are interchangable or whether Rak has a different connotation in Thai than "Love" does...

When I heard myself say that L word is after months that I and my bf have been together, had been apart .He was the one who said it first, and I DO agree with that:)

Someone said that easily? perhaps, its becuase'I love you' is in english and when it is not your mother language you aren't actually really"considering" about what does it really mean.

I do not think that a few days together could not produce ' love', eventhough it can just take about 2-4 mins to get attracted to someone but to love someone isn't the same

Difficult one indeed.

How many times have wer heard the infamous "I lub you to mut"?

In my experience I have not heard this pronounced many times by BG's. I was often in LT's and it was rather said exceptionally. Two years ago I spent a full month travelling with a BG and the words were never said.

Today I am in a VLR (Very Long Relationship, 10+ months) and again, in the first month together the words were not pronounced, I don't even think we gave it a thought.

I have made 4 trips since and spent 7 months with her, i do not recall who was the first to mention Love. I believe it was during our first separation that we started missing each others presence and we mentionned that on the phone. I suppose it was during our second time together she started mentionning the "I lub you to mut", wich I do not really like, because thai people and particularly female use these words far to much to the point they become meaningless.

But then somewhere later in the relationship she dropped the "to mut". We phone almost every day and the "I miss you" and "I love you" are said many times and I know these words are sincere on both sides. It happens exceptionnally when she cals me in the middle of the night, crying and saying "I love you" amids tears. Those are the only words she pronounces. Then I know she suffers.

Now what do they mean? good question.

When in LOS, we spent an average of 20 hours/24 together and we don't get bored at all. Often we don't do much and when I spend to much time with my nose in my French classics she gets upset because she does not get the attention she wants. I go internet almost every day for 2 hours max and then I need to see her and she is impatient I come back home.

I take care of her by providing her basic needs of housing, food, clothing and being nice, she takes care of all the rest, to the point I have to ask her to let me rest for a few hours, which never happens.

I live a life in LOS which has no binding or comparison whatsover with my previous western life.

Love is different and love is the same.

Sorry for your own hi-jack

I have some problems with Blaise Pascal's Pensees, but Salammbo, Journal d'une femme de chambre, Les Miserables, some Denis Diderot, Gustave Flaubert, Maupassant, Balzac, and Zola keep me busy. I don't have all the titles I have in Chumpon here in my head in farangland.

Any CELINE? My top favorite. I have re-read his novels while in LOS, one for each trip. people sometimes wondered what was the crazy farang laughing at. Also, more on topic, Pierre Loti wrote about his trips in the far-east, and though it was 100 years ago, you can relate so much about his impressions on people, habits and customs. great read too.

Archived