Long Distance Relations

BelgianBoy

Jasmine,

Sure it is all about commitment, but also about agreements, strenght of personalities, backgrounds, income, and so many different factors, but mostly it just comes to two people wanting to be TOGETHER !

My GF still have a life, she goes out to work, long hours as well as she never finishes before 7 PM, then either dinner with collegues, or sports, or shopping, or back home.

Then her last appointment is with me on the webcam, easily till 1130 PM or even minite at times, but always up at 0645 AM each day of the week........ gotto have respect for that too !

Cheers !

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then her last appointment is with me on the webcam, easily till 1130 PM or even minite at times, but always up at 0645 AM each day of the week........ gotto have respect for that too !

That's exactly what my TG did every day for me...for us. As it was 5 to 6 hours later in LOS (I lived in Europe) she had to stay up till late night and then get up early again.

About the webcam...no doubt about it that it made our long distance relationship easier to deal with.

And what you mentioned earlier...you deffinately have to want to be TOGETHER to make it succeed.

I've been there and I know how weak a person can feel certain days. Either because you miss her a lot or because she feels sad and you can't comfort her etc etc.

I hope you both will be strong enough to deal with those situations for as long as it takes.

I hope you'll see eachother soon again.

Goodluck to both of you. :)

Says Zaad:

That's exactly what my TG did every day for me...for us. As it was 5 to 6 hours later in LOS (I lived in Europe) she had to stay up till late night and then get up early again.

--> Exactly, and I'm lucky to work at home....... Imagine I get back from work at 6 PM + 6 hours difference = that midnite for her, no way you can do that every day........

I hope you'll see eachother soon again.

Goodluck to both of you. :)

--> yep !!!! another 25 days till I'll hold her in my arms :D :D

Cheers !

Belgian Boy,

Wonderful post - good luck to you an your lady.

You make an interesting point about how modern technology makes long-distance relationships easier. There has been a revolution in telecomm in the last 10-20 years which has brought many benefits to the world. I think one of them most underrated benefits is the fact that one can (relatively) easily and cheaply stay in contact with friends, family, loved-ones etc. far away. This is a service whose value cannot be measured in dollars or cents (or euros or baht or whatever), but is truly priceless.

Harlequin

Herlequinbkk,

Indeed, first time I was in the LOS was in 1980, no internet, no mobile phones, no fax, no metered taxis :).

Only way to stay in contact with the office was with telex, and in case of emergencies a phone call !!

I was married at that time, how to stay in contact with a GF if you had any ??? No way to do that, except write letters and hope they would understand all......

I would write them when I would return, and hope they 1. got the letter 2. understood it 3 . where available if they did not forgot....... ahhh those were the times, but at least all moved slower and pace of life was way better than now.......

Now with the world so small, all is so hurried and way more shallow than before......

Just my take on this :)

Cheers !

Hi,

When I travel or go to Thailand without the hubby, we spend a bit on the telephone. Nothing is like talking to each other. Once in Thailand by myself, we phoned each other so much that we decided a plane ticket would have been cheaper, and here we are "old married couple".

Cheers!

Jasmine,

Exactly !

but because the telephone is rather expensive in long distance relations, we used to phone each other like 1 - 2 times a week for max 3 - 4 minutes, that is no fun.

We compensated with houuuuuurs on chatting sessions :) :)

But with the webcam, we see :) AND speak :) to each other live, what can beat that when you are apart ????

Cheers !

I can get 9 cents a minute from New York to LOS on a phone card I use.. so it isn't that bad. We talk for 30 minutes every day, 7 days a week. Of course a webcam is even better once both ends are set up, obviously with a higher startup cost but becoming more and more economical over time...

BelgianBoy: my GF is having trouble find internet cafes with webcams.. maybe they aren't as common as I originally thought?? Any specific places that come to mind??

What I really want (and plan) to do is set her up in her apartment. Unfortunately her computer just died so she needs to start from scratch. That stuff is easily sorted I suppose. However, what is the best option for Internet? How is TelecomAsia's Cable internet service? What about the ISDN options? It would be great to set up an always on connection for my TG instead of just dial up, if the prices are not too steep. I only pay $29.95 for cable access in NY and it is fantasic. I get the imprerssion that the same would run $100 in LOS and isn't available in all areas.. Anyone know the best options???

TN,

( can I call you that ? :) )

Good post, some interesting subjects mixed in here........

As far a tel costs, from Belgium it would be abt $ 50 cents a minute, then again it is one of the most expensive countries !

Regarding webcam / internet cafes, I know 2, one is a subsoi of soi 4, the other one is down the building where my GF lives, far away behind Rama 3 ! She better ask, or you better post in technologies.....

Further to connections, my GF has a landline and uses cards costing 180 Bt, good for 30 days ? but not sure.....

Better check existing threads in techs as well for that, lots of info there.

All depends a bit where she lives.

Then again, nothing beats being there on longterm, right ?

Good luck to you !

Cheers !

Sure, you can call me TN.. I've certainly been called worse :-)

The only problem with dialup is that you can't just leave her webcam running 24/7, which is kinda cool (because of the cost). Flat rate internet is just a better option for high use. But dialup can be just fine as well I suppose...

50 cents a minute is pretty damn steep. No wonder you sought out other options! However, the normal rate here can be the same if you don't use phone cards. In fact, it can be even higher. Have you tried looking into phonecards?

My GF lives in the upper Sukhumvit area. I could never get her to go near Soi 4.. she can't stand that area. I'll need to scope out something closer for her next time I get back. There's a internet place across the street from her apartment.. maybe I'll just buy her a webcam and she can hook it in each time... :-)

Archived