Long Distance Relations

BelgianBoy

Traveler nyc:

Am in NY too. I went through using phone cards a few months ago.Tried so many kinds. But I found the sound quality to be very bad. Also connections were not reliable. Either I didn't hear her or she didn't hear me. I finally found a 27 minute cent rate with ATT and the quality is excellent like I'm talking to someone here in NY.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this one: www.crowntelecom.com

they have EXCELLENT quality, the same as a normal phone call (I guess it is not VoIP). 9 or 10 cents per minute, no connection charge, and 1 minute billing increments. Believe me, I did a lot of trial and error and searching, and this is the best I've found...

Sure, you can call me TN.. I've certainly been called worse :-)

--> Tn are your initials now :), friends call me BB :)

The only problem with dialup is that you can't just leave her webcam running 24/7, which is kinda cool (because of the cost). Flat rate internet is just a better option for high use. But dialup can be just fine as well I suppose...

--> I have ADSL here but never felt the need to leave it 24/7 on, but for example TTM leave the webcam on to see his GF sleeping, and vice versa, I have enough with my GF when we talk :)

50 cents a minute is pretty damn steep. No wonder you sought out other options! However, the normal rate here can be the same if you don't use phone cards. In fact, it can be even higher. Have you tried looking into phonecards?

--> yep, but bulshit connections

My GF lives in the upper Sukhumvit area. I could never get her to go near Soi 4.. she can't stand that area. I'll need to scope out something closer for her next time I get back. There's a internet place across the street from her apartment.. maybe I'll just buy her a webcam and she can hook it in each time... :-)

--> ADSL and also BTS :) are available in the Sukh area, should be no problem to hook that up, really look at some threads in technology, because KS, Sarisin and others mentionned some names and prices very recently.

Cheers !

>The only problem with dialup is that you can't just leave her webcam running 24/7, which is kinda cool (because of the cost).

Since my gf adopted a new school schedule, we see each other 3:30-5pm and 7:30-10:30pm her time. Sometimes the cam stays on all night but no real need.

- phone line - if she lives in an apartment, the line is most likelly not a direct one, has to dial "0" to get out. If you read her lease contract, you may find it says "5 bahts local calls per 40 minutes". With locals call only + metering by the building, her phone comes at 1000-1200Bht per month. Still, not a big cost.

- leaving it 24x7 or using it seriously, she will need a mobile phone for her (unless she already has one).

All phone calls to my gf now go through her mobile, friends and family don't even try her land line any more, it's always busy.

- Internet connection with ANET was 3600Baht or so for 500 hours. You can pay it remotely but requires a copy of your CC to be faxed. Reliable, no disconnections. Ocassionaly, busy signal at 7-8pm.

So, once the computer and the cam are in, the cost of web sessions is 15 bahts per hour.

Half of what the cheapest and crapiest phone call is - per minute!

Thanks think_too_mut. I'll check her lease, but I think you are right about the "dial 0" part. Whenever I call her I have to go through a switchboard and enter her extension. They have a limited number of lines as well, and the system disconnects calls after about 7 minutes which is really annoying..

Couldn't I just put in a new direct phone line??

I believe ISDN 64k is about 30 baht per hour if I'm not mistaken (that's what I thought I heard anyway, could be way wrong..) Maybe cost competitive to dialup once you have the equipment...

>They have a limited number of lines as well, and the system disconnects calls after about 7 minutes which is really annoying..

I don't think you can do much about it. In my building there are 100 units and 40 phone lines, no disconnections.

>Couldn't I just put in a new direct phone line??

Yes, but the building may stand in your way. Maybe if you convince them that high phone usage for Internet requires a dedicated line and that you'll be freeing their limited capacity.

Then, it may cost you 4-6K to do it.

There were threads about direct lines in the Technology section.

And here is my negative list, or how a long distance relationship definitely does not work

Actually this is a description of what I have experienced this summer.

The order is not exactly by importance, but for me it started with not being able to communicate more than the customary ?Love you very much?

- No shared language (English, Thai e.g.)

- Very big difference in education

- Not being able to meet her more than once or twice a year

- Not having any idea for a shared future

All these together means:

There is no 100% commitment to the girl (and presumably vice versa)

For me it was a very educationly experience. Now I know much better what I expect from this kind of relationship. And it didn´t cost me much, except many sleepless nights. Today I will cancel :( my christmas trip to LOS, which I mainly booked because of HER. The costs of the trip would have burned a big hole in my wallet and would have caused big trouble for the next year. It took a few weeks to make this decision, but you know the song by the Stones: "You can´t always get what you want..." :: - Next time better!!!

Kamui,

I understand your dissapointments, but let me tell you why I'm more lucky than others :

- we both speak, read & write English very well

- we both have a very good education & similar backgrounds

- we will meet in december for the 4th time in 6 months

- and yes, we do share plans for a common future...........

Keep on looking, but I was not looking in bars...........

Cheers !

BB

you have, what I am looking for in the future. I will be much more careful next time and I will not try to find this kind of woman in the BG scene.

Good Luck!!

PS: The travel agency is waiting for my flight confirmation today. How I hate to make the call to cancel my trip.

PS: PS: Is it raining in Belgium, too today? It´s grey and cold outside

Archived